Headlines
FCT Minister threatens to kick out non-performing contractors

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mr Nyesom Wike, has threatened to kick out non-performing contractors executing projects in the FCT.
Wike made the threat in Abuja on Friday, after inspecting the ongoing construction of the 15-kilometre left-wing service lane of the Outer Southern Expressway, from Ring Road 1 to Wasa.
The threat followed what the minister described as a “disappointing performance” of CGC Nigeria Ltd executing the project, saying “it is barely 50 per cent as against CGC’s 75 per cent claim.
“As at last year, you promised you would finish the project by December 2024 or at most January 2025, now you have extended it to May.
“With what I am seeing, it may not be possible till eight or nine months from now.
“You should be fair to us. If we have an agreement, let’s keep to that agreement and we are paying. Why should we see what we are seeing now? He asked.
The minister said that the FCT Administration had paid over 80 per cent of the contract sum, “but look at what they have done. This is very bad. I am not encouraged.
“We have paid the contractor more than 80 per cent of this contract and the job, as far as I am concerned, is not up to 50 per cent. I am not going to accept this.”
On what he would do to non-performing contractors, Wike said: “We don’t have any relationship with non-performing contractors. Everybody knows our position that if you don’t perform, we kick you out.
“There is no sentiment about it. Whether you are an indigenous contractor; whether you are a foreign contractor; we don’t care. All we are concerned about is the work.
“If you do the work; we go along with you, if you don’t do the work; we kick you out and we will make you pay for it; there must be sanctions.
“You can’t just collect our money, and we just say go, when you do not complete our project, no.
“Before we kick you out, we will make you pay for it. That is our position.”
He explained that his attention was drawn to the project when he inspected the Apo to Karshi road on Thursday and passed through Wasa on his way back.
He explained that the inspection was to see things for himself.
“There was no equipment here yesterday when I passed through the road.
“I believe it is because I said I was coming here today that you mobilised equipment. These are things I will not accept.
“CGC is one of the most respected construction companies in the country, but as far as this road is concerned, I am not happy,” he groaned.
The minister directed the Director of Engineering Services, Federal Capital Development Authority to sit with the contractor, agree on a work plan, and commit to a completion timeline.
Wike said that the work plan described the road as important considering the huge economic activities taking place in the area.
He directed that the project delivery work plan should be on his table on Monday, pointing out that the road, if completed, would significantly reduce traffic congestion in the area.
Headlines
Noble Ladies Champion Women’s Financial Independence at Grand Inauguration in Abuja

Women from diverse backgrounds across Nigeria and beyond gathered at the Art and Culture Auditorium, Abuja, for the inauguration and convention of the Noble Ladies Association. The event, led by the association’s Founder and “visionary and polished Queen Mother,” Mrs. Margaret Chigozie Mkpuma, was a colourful display of feminine elegance, empowerment, and ambition.
The highly anticipated gathering, attended by over 700 members and counting, reflected the association’s mission to help women realise their potential while shifting mindsets away from dependency and over-glamorization of the ‘white collar job.’ According to the group, progress can be better achieved through innovation and creativity. “When a woman is able to earn and blossom on her own she has no reason to look at herself as a second fiddle,” the association stated.
One of the association’s standout initiatives is its women-only investment platform, which currently offers a minimum entry of ₦100,000 with a return of ₦130,000 over 30 days—an interest rate of 30 percent. Some members invest as much as ₦1 million, enjoying the same return rate. Mrs. Mkpuma explained that the scheme focuses on women because “women bear the greater brunt of poverty” and the platform seeks “to offer equity in the absence of economic equality.”
Education is also central to the Noble Ladies’ mission, regardless of age. Their mantra, “start again from where you stopped,” encourages women to return to school or upgrade their skills at any stage in life. The association believes that financial stability is vital in protecting women from cultural practices that dispossess widows of their late husbands’ assets, while also enabling them to raise morally and socially grounded families.
Founded on the vision of enhancing women’s skills and achieving financial stability, the association rests on a value system that discourages pity and promotes purpose. “You have a purpose and you build on that purpose to achieve great potentials and emancipation,” Mrs. Mkpuma said.
A criminologist by training and entrepreneur by practice, she cautions against idleness while waiting for formal employment. “There are billions in the informal and non-formal sectors waiting to be made,” she said, rejecting the “new normal of begging” and urging people to “be more introspective to find their purpose in life and hold on to it.”
Mrs. Mkpuma’s management style keeps members actively engaged, focusing on vocational skills and training to prepare them for competitive markets. She is exploring “innovative integration of uncommon technologies” and is already in talks with international franchises to invest in Nigeria, with Noble Ladies as first beneficiaries.
The association’s core values include mutual respect, innovation, forward-thinking, equal opportunity, and financial emancipation. With plans underway to establish a secretariat in the heart of Abuja, the group aims to expand its impact.
The event drew high-profile guests, including former Inspector General of Police, Mike Okiro, and a host of VIPs, marking a significant milestone in the association’s drive for women’s empowerment.
Headlines
NEPZA, FCT agree to create world-class FTZ environment

The Nigeria Export Processing Zones Authority (NEPZA) has stepped in to resolve the dispute between the Federal Capital Territory Administration and the Abuja Technology Village (ATV), a licensed Free Trade Zone, over the potential revocation of the zone’s land title.
Dr. Olufemi Ogunyemi, the Managing Director of NEPZA, urged ATV operators and investors to withdraw the lawsuit filed against the FCT administration immediately to facilitate a roundtable negotiation.
Dr. Ogunyemi delivered the charge during a courtesy visit to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Barrister Nyesom Wike, on Thursday in Abuja.
You will recall that the ATV operators responded to the revocation notice issued by the FCT administration with a lawsuit.
Dr. Ogunyemi stated that the continued support for the growth of the Free Trade Zones Scheme would benefit the nation’s economy and the FCT’s development, emphasizing that the FCT administration recognized the scheme’s potential to accelerate industrialisation.
Dr. Ogunyemi, also the Chief Executive Officer of NEPZA, expressed his delight at the steps taken by the FCT minister to expand the economic frontier of the FCT through the proposed Abuja City Walk (ACW) project.
Dr. Ogunyemi further explained that the Authority was preparing to assess all the 63 licensed Free Trade Zones across the country with the view to vetting their functionality and contributions to the nation’s Foreign Direct Investment and export drives.
“I have come to discuss with His Excellency, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory on the importance of supporting the ATV to succeed while also promoting the development of the Abuja City Walk project. We must work together to achieve this for the good of our nation,” he said.
On his part, the FCT Minister reiterated his unflinching determination to work towards President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda by bringing FDI to the FCT.
“We must fulfil Mr. President’s promises regarding industrialization, trade, and investment. In this context, the FCT will collaborate with NEPZA to review the future of ATV, a zone that was sponsored and supported by the FCT administration,” Wike said.
Barrister Wike also said that efforts were underway to fast-track the industrialisation process of the territory with the construction of the Abuja City Walk.
The minister further said the Abuja City Walk project was planned to cover over 200 hectares in the Abuja Technology Village corridor along Airport Road.
According to him, the business ecosystem aimed to create a lively, mixed-use urban center with residential, commercial, retail, hospitality, medical, and institutional facilities.
He added that the ACW would turn out to be a high-definition and world-class project that would give this administration’s Renewed Hope Agenda true meaning in the North-Central Region of the country.
Barrister Wike also indicated his continued pursuit of land and property owners who failed to fulfil their obligations to the FCT in his determination to develop the territory.
Headlines
Benue IDPs block highway, demand return to ancestral homes

Vehicular movement along the Yelwata axis of the Benue–Nasarawa highway was brought to a standstill on Wednesday as Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs, staged a protest, demanding immediate return to their ancestral homes.
The protesters, believed to be victims of persistent attacks by suspected herdsmen, blocked both lanes of the busy highway for several hours, chanting “We want to go back home”.
The protest caused disruption, leaving hundreds of motorists and passengers stranded.
Eyewitnesses said the displaced persons, many of whom have spent years in overcrowded IDP camps, are expressing deep frustration over the government’s delay in restoring security to their communities.
“We have suffered enough. We want to return to our homes and farms,” one of the protesters told reporters at the scene.
Security personnel were reportedly deployed to monitor the situation and prevent any escalation, though tensions remained high as of press time.
Efforts to reach the Benue State Emergency Management Agency, SEMA, and other relevant authorities for comment were unsuccessful.
-
Headlines3 years ago
Facebook, Instagram Temporarily Allow Posts on Ukraine War Calling for Violence Against Invading Russians or Putin’s Death
-
Headlines3 years ago
Nigeria, Other West African Countries Facing Worst Food Crisis in 10 Years, Aid Groups Say
-
Foreign3 years ago
New York Consulate installs machines for 10-year passport
-
News12 months ago
Zero Trust Architecture in a Remote World: Securing the New Normal
-
Entertainment3 years ago
Phyna emerges winner of Big Brother Naija Season 7
-
Headlines1 year ago
Nigeria Customs modernisation project to check extortion of traders
-
Economy1 year ago
We generated N30.2 bn revenue in three months – Kano NCS Comptroller
-
Headlines1 year ago
Philippines’ Vice President Sara Duterte resigns from Cabinet