Connect with us

Headlines

Court adjourns case against ex-Kogi governor, others

Published

on

Court discharges man accused of burning father’s house in Abuja

A Federal Capital Territory High Court on Wednesday, adjourned hearing in the alleged money laundering case against  former governor of Kogi, Yahaya Bello until April 3 and April 24.

Justice Maryann Anenih adjourned the case for continuation of hearing after the first witness, Fabian Nworah, a property developer, was called to testify.

The Prosecution Counsel, Kemi Pinheiro, SAN, informed the court that he had five witnesses to call for the day.

Advertisement

Justice Anenih said she could only take one witness as she had other matters to attend to.

The court also announced that it would not be sitting on Thursday as previously scheduled.

Counsel for the 1st and 2nd Defendants, Joseph Daudu, SAN, however, informed the court that the prosecution had not made the statements on oath of the 2nd defendant available to the defence team.

Advertisement

He said he was aware that the first defendant had not made any statement.

Daudu also objected to the witness presented by the prosecution, arguing that the defendants had no prior knowledge of the witness and were only seeing him in court for the first time.

Citing authorities, he emphasised that legal proceedings should not be a “hide and seek” game, stating that the prosecution was required to provide the witness’ statements on oath in advance so the defence could adequately prepare for cross-examination.

Advertisement

“The statements of the second defendant have not been served on us to be able to know if we will be able to represent him or not.

“So, it is a serious handicap on us. They need to serve us all the statements made by the defendants.

“I understand the first defendant has not made a statement. Fortunately, we are still within the house keeping stage of the proceeding,” he added.

Advertisement

Corroborating this, counsel for the 3rd Defendant, Abubakar Aliyu, SAN, said, “mine is not a comment but an observation my lord. My application is for the court to order the prosecution to provide us with the statements of the 2nd and 3rd defendants.”

When the judge asked if he had requested for the statements, Aliyu SAN said, he discovered on Tuesday that the said statements were not part of the proof of evidence served on the defendants.

He said: “I am also applying that the court order the prosecution to provide us with copies of recovered digital device and the report or the extract therefrom mentioned on Page 14 of Volume 1 of the proof of evidence and the report of the forensic expert if any.

Advertisement

“I am following the procedure followed in Okoye against the Commissioner of Police, which was adopted by the Supreme Court in Okemini Vs Commissioner of Police.”

The prosecution witness, however, disagreed, saying the defendants were trying to delay speedy trial.

He insisted that the proof of evidence was served on the defendants on Nov. 27, 2024.

Advertisement

“The constitutional provisions, which they rely on, does not imply that the prosecution should provide all the documents which it relies on.

“The law only provides that the prosecution should oblige the defence with all the documents requested for,” Pinheiro argued.

He noted that the issues would be addressed whenever they receive formal applications from the Defendants and urged the court to proceed on the business for the day.

Advertisement

“As it is, we have almost utilised more than an hour on these arguments,” he stated.

The judge asked the defendant’s counsel why he did not raise the issues in December.

Daudu SAN replied that it was because it had to be done after arraignment.

Advertisement

“I have applied and they are not obliging me. It is absolutely necessary for our defence,” counsel for the 3rd defendant said.

The judge, however, declined the application for adjournment and directed the prosecution to proceed with the case.

The prosecution then proceeded to call its first witness, Fabian Nwora, a property developer with EFAB Property Nigeria Limited.

Advertisement

Nwora testified that he was invited to the Economic and Financial Crimes on Feb. 8, 2023, regarding a transaction between Shehu Bello and EFAB Property concerning a property located at No. 1 Ikogosi Street, Maitama.

He stated that he sold the said property to Shehu Bello but observed that the name on the sale agreement was Dr Bello Ohiani, not Shehu Bello.

He said, in 2023, Shehu Bello approached EFAB Property, informing them that the property was under investigation by the EFCC.

Advertisement

He returned all documents related to the purchase and demanded a refund of the N550million that was paid.

Subsequently, he said, EFAB Property was invited by the EFCC to explain what transpired between them and Shehu Bello.

The EFCC instructed the company to refund the entire sum to an EFCC-designated account. EFAB Property complied in two batches of N400 million and N150 million.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

Noble Ladies Champion Women’s Financial Independence at Grand Inauguration in Abuja

Published

on

Women from diverse backgrounds across Nigeria and beyond gathered at the Art and Culture Auditorium, Abuja, for the inauguration and convention of the Noble Ladies Association. The event, led by the association’s Founder and “visionary and polished Queen Mother,” Mrs. Margaret Chigozie Mkpuma, was a colourful display of feminine elegance, empowerment, and ambition.

The highly anticipated gathering, attended by over 700 members and counting, reflected the association’s mission to help women realise their potential while shifting mindsets away from dependency and over-glamorization of the ‘white collar job.’ According to the group, progress can be better achieved through innovation and creativity. “When a woman is able to earn and blossom on her own she has no reason to look at herself as a second fiddle,” the association stated.

One of the association’s standout initiatives is its women-only investment platform, which currently offers a minimum entry of ₦100,000 with a return of ₦130,000 over 30 days—an interest rate of 30 percent. Some members invest as much as ₦1 million, enjoying the same return rate. Mrs. Mkpuma explained that the scheme focuses on women because “women bear the greater brunt of poverty” and the platform seeks “to offer equity in the absence of economic equality.”

Advertisement

Education is also central to the Noble Ladies’ mission, regardless of age. Their mantra, “start again from where you stopped,” encourages women to return to school or upgrade their skills at any stage in life. The association believes that financial stability is vital in protecting women from cultural practices that dispossess widows of their late husbands’ assets, while also enabling them to raise morally and socially grounded families.

Founded on the vision of enhancing women’s skills and achieving financial stability, the association rests on a value system that discourages pity and promotes purpose. “You have a purpose and you build on that purpose to achieve great potentials and emancipation,” Mrs. Mkpuma said.

A criminologist by training and entrepreneur by practice, she cautions against idleness while waiting for formal employment. “There are billions in the informal and non-formal sectors waiting to be made,” she said, rejecting the “new normal of begging” and urging people to “be more introspective to find their purpose in life and hold on to it.”

Advertisement

Mrs. Mkpuma’s management style keeps members actively engaged, focusing on vocational skills and training to prepare them for competitive markets. She is exploring “innovative integration of uncommon technologies” and is already in talks with international franchises to invest in Nigeria, with Noble Ladies as first beneficiaries.

The association’s core values include mutual respect, innovation, forward-thinking, equal opportunity, and financial emancipation. With plans underway to establish a secretariat in the heart of Abuja, the group aims to expand its impact.

The event drew high-profile guests, including former Inspector General of Police, Mike Okiro, and a host of VIPs, marking a significant milestone in the association’s drive for women’s empowerment.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Headlines

NEPZA, FCT agree to create world-class FTZ environment

Published

on

NEPZA, FCT agree to create world-class FTZ environment

The Nigeria Export Processing Zones Authority (NEPZA) has stepped in to resolve the dispute between the Federal Capital Territory Administration and the Abuja Technology Village (ATV), a licensed Free Trade Zone, over the potential revocation of the zone’s land title.
Dr. Olufemi Ogunyemi, the Managing Director of NEPZA, urged ATV operators and investors to withdraw the lawsuit filed against the FCT administration immediately to facilitate a roundtable negotiation.
Dr. Ogunyemi delivered the charge during a courtesy visit to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Barrister Nyesom Wike, on Thursday in Abuja.
You will recall that the ATV operators responded to the revocation notice issued by the FCT administration with a lawsuit.
Dr. Ogunyemi stated that the continued support for the growth of the Free Trade Zones Scheme would benefit the nation’s economy and the FCT’s development, emphasizing that the FCT administration recognized the scheme’s potential to accelerate industrialisation.
Dr. Ogunyemi, also the Chief Executive Officer of NEPZA, expressed his delight at the steps taken by the FCT minister to expand the economic frontier of the FCT through the proposed Abuja City Walk (ACW) project.
Dr. Ogunyemi further explained that the Authority was preparing to assess all the 63 licensed Free Trade Zones across the country with the view to vetting their functionality and contributions to the nation’s Foreign Direct Investment and export drives.
“I have come to discuss with His Excellency, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory on the importance of supporting the ATV to succeed while also promoting the development of the Abuja City Walk project. We must work together to achieve this for the good of our nation,” he said.
On his part, the FCT Minister reiterated his unflinching determination to work towards President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda by bringing FDI to the FCT.
“We must fulfil Mr. President’s promises regarding industrialization, trade, and investment. In this context, the FCT will collaborate with NEPZA to review the future of ATV, a zone that was sponsored and supported by the FCT administration,” Wike said.
Barrister Wike also said that efforts were underway to fast-track the industrialisation process of the territory with the construction of the Abuja City Walk.
The minister further said the Abuja City Walk project was planned to cover over 200 hectares in the Abuja Technology Village corridor along Airport Road.
According to him, the business ecosystem aimed to create a lively, mixed-use urban center with residential, commercial, retail, hospitality, medical, and institutional facilities.
He added that the ACW would turn out to be a high-definition and world-class project that would give this administration’s Renewed Hope Agenda true meaning in the North-Central Region of the country.
Barrister Wike also indicated his continued pursuit of land and property owners who failed to fulfil their obligations to the FCT in his determination to develop the territory.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Benue IDPs block highway, demand return to ancestral homes

Published

on

Vehicular movement along the Yelwata axis of the Benue–Nasarawa highway was brought to a standstill on Wednesday as Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs, staged a protest, demanding immediate return to their ancestral homes.

The protesters, believed to be victims of persistent attacks by suspected herdsmen, blocked both lanes of the busy highway for several hours, chanting “We want to go back home”.

The protest caused disruption, leaving hundreds of motorists and passengers stranded.

Advertisement

Eyewitnesses said the displaced persons, many of whom have spent years in overcrowded IDP camps, are expressing deep frustration over the government’s delay in restoring security to their communities.

“We have suffered enough. We want to return to our homes and farms,” one of the protesters told reporters at the scene.

Security personnel were reportedly deployed to monitor the situation and prevent any escalation, though tensions remained high as of press time.

Advertisement

Efforts to reach the Benue State Emergency Management Agency, SEMA, and other relevant authorities for comment were unsuccessful.

Continue Reading

You May Like

Copyright © 2025 Acces News Magazine - All Right Reserved.

Verified by MonsterInsights