Headlines
I didn’t order Senate to remove Section 84(12), Buhari tells court

By Derrick Bangura
President Muhammadu Buhari told a Federal High Court in Abuja yesterday that he did not direct the Senate to strike Section 84(12) from the modified Electoral Act 2022.
“No political appointee at any level shall be a voting delegate or be voted for at any political party’s convention or congress for the purpose of nominating candidates for any election,” says Section 84(12).
President Buhari claimed he only raised misgivings and worries about one section of the Electoral Act, contrary to assertions made by the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in a lawsuit brought against him and 12 others.
At the request of the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, the President filed a rebuttal affidavit before the Federal High Court.
In the point counter affidavit by President Buhari and Malami to debunk PDP’s claims in the suit, the AGF explained that the President on February 25, 2022, gave proper, full and unconditional assent to the amended Electoral Act.
President Buhari and Malami averred that the claims of PDP in its suit against them on the Electoral Act are totally false and replete with gross untruths aimed at misleading the court to give judgment against them.
“The first defendant (President Buhari) assented to the Electoral Bill but did not give conditions or directives to the National Assembly in the manner erroneously deposed to by the plaintiff (PDP). At no time did the first defendant give any directive to the management or leadership of the National Assembly as regards the removal of section 84 (12) of the Electoral Act 2022 from the Act.
“On March 8, 2022, first defendant officially wrote the Senate President and House of Representatives Speaker to express his concerns about Section 84 (12) of the Electoral Act and formally requested for amendment to be effected on the section so as to eliminate area of infraction with the Constitution. I am aware that the National Assembly neither accepted not acted on the opinion or suggestion of President Buhari.”
The Justice Minister said only the Court of Appeal can restore Section 84 (12) into the Electoral Act, 2022. The PDP had challenged the legality or otherwise of the National Assembly tinkering with the Electoral Act, after it had been signed into law by President Buhari.
Amid debate about the subject matter, Justice Evelyn Anyadike of the Federal High Court sitting in Umuahia on March 18, ordered the AGF to delete Section 84 (12) of the Act.
Anyadike, in the judgment, held that the section was “unconstitutional, invalid, illegal, null, void and of no effect whatsoever and ought to be struck down as it cannot stand when it is in violation of the clear provisions of the Constitution.”
Anyadike held that Sections 66(1)(f), 107(1)(f), 137(1)(f), and 182(1)(f) of the 1999 Constitution already stipulated that appointees of government seeking to contest elections were only to resign at least 30 days to the date of the election.
Reacting, the AGF said that both the National Assembly and PDP had since appealed the judgment. He said “it is only the Court of Appeal that can restore the section into the Electoral Act and not any high court.”
The AGF, therefore, prayed the court to dismiss the PDP suit. Justice Ekwo adjourned the matter until May 16 for hearing.
BUT the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, has urged political appointees who have interests in the 2023 general elections to resign their position not to fall victim of the penalty stated in the 2022 electoral law. Gbajabiamila, who spoke with Channels Television correspondent yesterday hinted that some political appointees have resigned their position, while some haven’t under the cover that there is a court decision pending that nullified the prohibition of Section 84(12) of the electoral law.
He said: “Invariably, it’s a personal decision that has to be made. If the court says the National Assembly is within its right to make such a provision and you have gone to contest an election, while still a political appointee then you run a serious risk of your election being annulled and not only you as a person but you also put the party you belong to at risk.”
A Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Femi Falana, also speaking on Politics Today, last night, described the Section 84 as draconian, saying what should have obtained is that a political appointee applies for leave of absence instead of resignation. He said the penalties attached to the provision are very serious and cannot be treated with levity.
“These are very serious provisions that cannot be discounted for any political party that wants to participate in the 2023 general election. But, personally, I think the provision are draconian because if somebody is holding a political office or is a political appointee and you want to participate in the election, frankly speaking, all I think should be done is to ask for leave of absence so that you do not use the machinery of the office to manipulate the process.
“But, you must also think about those who are victims. For civil servants, the provision is saying you resign a month before the election. If you don’t want political appointees to enjoy such provisions, what you should do perhaps is to say, ‘apply for leave of absence so that you participate, if you win you won’t come back to the office but if you lose you can come back.’ But as far as the law is concerned, the position as at today, is if you are a member of a political appointee you have to resign.”
THE ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) has, however, said its presidential aspirants occupying various appointive positions are not obliged to resign their positions before Monday next week.
APC’s National Publicity Secretary, Mr Felix Morka, in a chat with The Guardian admitted that occupants of various appointive positions angling for the exalted seat of the presidency such as the Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi; Labour and Productivity Minister, Dr Chris Ngige and Minister of State for Education, Emeka Nwajiuba, ought to resign their positions before the conduct of the presidential primary on May 30.
The APC scribe noted: “The Electoral Act only requires appointees to resign before primaries or congresses. It does not stipulate any specific timeline by which they may do so.”
The latest position of the party comes against the backdrop of the insistence by Ngige and Nwajiuba that they were not bound by the Electoral Act to resign before Monday as Ministers.
“According to the Constitution, we are required to resign 30 days before the election. Anybody can have another opinion,” Nwajiuba said.
Ngige was also quoted as saying he would not bow to a new directive issued by the National Working Committee of the APC mandating all political appointees who aspire to participate in the primary elections to resign at least 30 days before the conduct of the primaries.
Ngige, who maintained that he had no idea about the directive, said it was his constitutional right to run for the country’s highest office.
Headlines
Noble Ladies Champion Women’s Financial Independence at Grand Inauguration in Abuja

Women from diverse backgrounds across Nigeria and beyond gathered at the Art and Culture Auditorium, Abuja, for the inauguration and convention of the Noble Ladies Association. The event, led by the association’s Founder and “visionary and polished Queen Mother,” Mrs. Margaret Chigozie Mkpuma, was a colourful display of feminine elegance, empowerment, and ambition.
The highly anticipated gathering, attended by over 700 members and counting, reflected the association’s mission to help women realise their potential while shifting mindsets away from dependency and over-glamorization of the ‘white collar job.’ According to the group, progress can be better achieved through innovation and creativity. “When a woman is able to earn and blossom on her own she has no reason to look at herself as a second fiddle,” the association stated.
One of the association’s standout initiatives is its women-only investment platform, which currently offers a minimum entry of ₦100,000 with a return of ₦130,000 over 30 days—an interest rate of 30 percent. Some members invest as much as ₦1 million, enjoying the same return rate. Mrs. Mkpuma explained that the scheme focuses on women because “women bear the greater brunt of poverty” and the platform seeks “to offer equity in the absence of economic equality.”
Education is also central to the Noble Ladies’ mission, regardless of age. Their mantra, “start again from where you stopped,” encourages women to return to school or upgrade their skills at any stage in life. The association believes that financial stability is vital in protecting women from cultural practices that dispossess widows of their late husbands’ assets, while also enabling them to raise morally and socially grounded families.
Founded on the vision of enhancing women’s skills and achieving financial stability, the association rests on a value system that discourages pity and promotes purpose. “You have a purpose and you build on that purpose to achieve great potentials and emancipation,” Mrs. Mkpuma said.
A criminologist by training and entrepreneur by practice, she cautions against idleness while waiting for formal employment. “There are billions in the informal and non-formal sectors waiting to be made,” she said, rejecting the “new normal of begging” and urging people to “be more introspective to find their purpose in life and hold on to it.”
Mrs. Mkpuma’s management style keeps members actively engaged, focusing on vocational skills and training to prepare them for competitive markets. She is exploring “innovative integration of uncommon technologies” and is already in talks with international franchises to invest in Nigeria, with Noble Ladies as first beneficiaries.
The association’s core values include mutual respect, innovation, forward-thinking, equal opportunity, and financial emancipation. With plans underway to establish a secretariat in the heart of Abuja, the group aims to expand its impact.
The event drew high-profile guests, including former Inspector General of Police, Mike Okiro, and a host of VIPs, marking a significant milestone in the association’s drive for women’s empowerment.
Headlines
NEPZA, FCT agree to create world-class FTZ environment

The Nigeria Export Processing Zones Authority (NEPZA) has stepped in to resolve the dispute between the Federal Capital Territory Administration and the Abuja Technology Village (ATV), a licensed Free Trade Zone, over the potential revocation of the zone’s land title.
Dr. Olufemi Ogunyemi, the Managing Director of NEPZA, urged ATV operators and investors to withdraw the lawsuit filed against the FCT administration immediately to facilitate a roundtable negotiation.
Dr. Ogunyemi delivered the charge during a courtesy visit to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Barrister Nyesom Wike, on Thursday in Abuja.
You will recall that the ATV operators responded to the revocation notice issued by the FCT administration with a lawsuit.
Dr. Ogunyemi stated that the continued support for the growth of the Free Trade Zones Scheme would benefit the nation’s economy and the FCT’s development, emphasizing that the FCT administration recognized the scheme’s potential to accelerate industrialisation.
Dr. Ogunyemi, also the Chief Executive Officer of NEPZA, expressed his delight at the steps taken by the FCT minister to expand the economic frontier of the FCT through the proposed Abuja City Walk (ACW) project.
Dr. Ogunyemi further explained that the Authority was preparing to assess all the 63 licensed Free Trade Zones across the country with the view to vetting their functionality and contributions to the nation’s Foreign Direct Investment and export drives.
“I have come to discuss with His Excellency, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory on the importance of supporting the ATV to succeed while also promoting the development of the Abuja City Walk project. We must work together to achieve this for the good of our nation,” he said.
On his part, the FCT Minister reiterated his unflinching determination to work towards President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda by bringing FDI to the FCT.
“We must fulfil Mr. President’s promises regarding industrialization, trade, and investment. In this context, the FCT will collaborate with NEPZA to review the future of ATV, a zone that was sponsored and supported by the FCT administration,” Wike said.
Barrister Wike also said that efforts were underway to fast-track the industrialisation process of the territory with the construction of the Abuja City Walk.
The minister further said the Abuja City Walk project was planned to cover over 200 hectares in the Abuja Technology Village corridor along Airport Road.
According to him, the business ecosystem aimed to create a lively, mixed-use urban center with residential, commercial, retail, hospitality, medical, and institutional facilities.
He added that the ACW would turn out to be a high-definition and world-class project that would give this administration’s Renewed Hope Agenda true meaning in the North-Central Region of the country.
Barrister Wike also indicated his continued pursuit of land and property owners who failed to fulfil their obligations to the FCT in his determination to develop the territory.
Headlines
Benue IDPs block highway, demand return to ancestral homes

Vehicular movement along the Yelwata axis of the Benue–Nasarawa highway was brought to a standstill on Wednesday as Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs, staged a protest, demanding immediate return to their ancestral homes.
The protesters, believed to be victims of persistent attacks by suspected herdsmen, blocked both lanes of the busy highway for several hours, chanting “We want to go back home”.
The protest caused disruption, leaving hundreds of motorists and passengers stranded.
Eyewitnesses said the displaced persons, many of whom have spent years in overcrowded IDP camps, are expressing deep frustration over the government’s delay in restoring security to their communities.
“We have suffered enough. We want to return to our homes and farms,” one of the protesters told reporters at the scene.
Security personnel were reportedly deployed to monitor the situation and prevent any escalation, though tensions remained high as of press time.
Efforts to reach the Benue State Emergency Management Agency, SEMA, and other relevant authorities for comment were unsuccessful.
-
Headlines3 years ago
Facebook, Instagram Temporarily Allow Posts on Ukraine War Calling for Violence Against Invading Russians or Putin’s Death
-
Headlines3 years ago
Nigeria, Other West African Countries Facing Worst Food Crisis in 10 Years, Aid Groups Say
-
Foreign3 years ago
New York Consulate installs machines for 10-year passport
-
News12 months ago
Zero Trust Architecture in a Remote World: Securing the New Normal
-
Entertainment3 years ago
Phyna emerges winner of Big Brother Naija Season 7
-
Headlines1 year ago
Nigeria Customs modernisation project to check extortion of traders
-
Economy1 year ago
We generated N30.2 bn revenue in three months – Kano NCS Comptroller
-
Headlines1 year ago
Philippines’ Vice President Sara Duterte resigns from Cabinet