Connect with us

Headlines

Osun poll: How BVAS exposed alleged rigging machine

Published

on

When in August 2022, I announced to the whole world that in Osun, my principal, Adegboyega Oyetola, did not lose the July 16 governorship election, but only lost the vote count, s

When in August 2022, I announced to the whole world that in Osun, my principal, Adegboyega Oyetola, did not lose the July 16 governorship election, but only lost the vote count, some Nigerians, especially sympathisers of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, were furious. They called me names. But they could not marshal any reasonable argument to disprove my position. So, the judgement of the Osun State Election Petition Tribunal is a vindication of my position prior to the 2018 governorship election that the majority of Osun citizens, who are reasonable, knowledgeable, and who apart from ‘dancecraft’, has nothing to offer the state. His administration of Osun in the last 60 days has further exposed him as a man lacking in character, content, and capacity.

Similarly, the outcome of the tribunal is a vindication of my August 2022 postulation that we only lost the vote count and not the election. Contrary to the claims of the governor and his cohorts, three of the judges agreed that he forged his certificate, while two concurred that there was indeed overvoting in the July 16 governorship election. And in accordance with the Electoral Act, the invalid votes were separated from the valid ones, and Oyetola was declared the validly-elected governor of Osun State. Therefore, the issue of “Member 1” and “Member 2” being propounded by Senator Ademola Adeleke, Kolapo Alimi, and the rest only exists in their imagination. It is a pity that the governor does not know, and those we thought should know ended up misleading the poor man.

In the lead judgement, which was over 90 pages, “we” featured prominently to indicate that the position reached was reached by two or more persons. Similarly, in the dissenting judgement, which was just eight pages, “I” featured prominently to indicate he was alone in that decision. How Senator Ademola Adeleke’s men were able to confuse him about the fact that an eight-page judgement can be used to overturn over 90 pages of sound and scholarly judgement, which are well grounded in law and facts, remains a mystery to me.

How the tribunal arrived at its conclusion: Before delving into how the tribunal arrived at its conclusion, I wish to deal with the issue of alleged forgery as established by the Tribunal. Recall that Oyetola and APC approached the Tribunal on two fundamental grounds: one, that at the time Senator Adeleke was contesting, he was not qualified. Two, that he did not score the lawful valid votes. According to the Tribunal led by Justice Tertsea Kume, APC and Oyetola were able to prove the alleged forgery case against Governor Adeleke as EC9, which is the affidavit in support of personal particulars about the governor, told “a lie about itself”. The three justices of the Tribunal went further to hold that “clear reading of the above reproduced section of the Criminal Code and exhibit EC9 reproduced above reveals that EC9 tells a lie about itself. See ACN vs. Lamido (2011), LPELR-91741 (CA) 1 at 79–80 paras C- A, and 80 81 paras F- A.

“In that regard, the forgery of the said documents presented by the 2nd respondent (Ademola Adeleke) to the 1st respondent (INEC) has been proved. “The same consequence applies to File D in so far as the contents therein relate to ‘Osun State’ which was not in existence before 1991. See PDP v. Degi-Eremenyo (2021) 9 NWLR (Pt. 1781) 274 at 292 paras A-C cited by learned counsel for the Petitioners.” The Tribunal Justices went further to hold as follows: “The question, however, is whether, having found forgery in parts of exhibit EC9 and file D, the 2nd Respondent (Ademola Adeleke) is exonerated by exhibits 2R.RW6 and 2R.RW9. We think he is. It would have been otherwise if no other qualifying certificate of attendance at an institution had been presented to the first respondent for the election.” As a layman, the mere fact that the Tribunal only says they “think,” shows that this is another potent pendulum that could swing against the governor at the appellate court. Reason being that, the additional qualifications which were the basis of what I want to refer to as his temporary respite in the issue of qualification, was acquired using the O’Level that has been proven to be allegedly forged. Therefore, if we go by the popular axiom, you cannot build something on nothing and expect it to stand. It goes without saying that the governor is yet to be let off the hook as far as his qualification to stand for the election is concerned. He can be disqualified for submitting an alleged forged document as contained in his file with INEC.

But let’s go back to the issue of overvoting. The Electoral Act is clear. To make a return as to the announcement of the results of the election, the presiding officer must take into account what the BVAS transmitted, which is on the back end. In this instance, Senator Adeleke was declared winner of that election by the INEC on July 17 based on the figures the BVAS transmitted. It was these figures the APC and Oyetola applied for and got from the INEC. After filing their petitions, the PDP rushed to INEC and obtained what was later referred to as a “synchronized” BVAS report. Assuming without conceding that there should be a synchronised BVAS report, the next question to ask, which I raised in September, is: On what basis then was Adeleke declared the winner on July 17? By their stretch of argument, it means Adeleke was declared the winner before “synchronization”. Since Adeleke was never declared the winner by opening the BVAS machine, how on earth will you now sway the tribunal to accept that? At any rate, even in that one too, the expert hired by Adeleke, Samuel Oduntan, to analyse the BVAS machine also admitted before the court that there was overvoting. The only difference is that he said it was discovered in only six polling units. But during the cross-examination, APC and Oyetola counsel were able to prove to him that apart from the six he claimed over-voting occurred, there were others. “Under the supervision of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, I conducted the forensic analysis of BVAS machines. I then analyzed the result with the Form EC8A series. My report didn’t determine who won or lost. I only gave the figures. I observed overvoting in six polling units. I was paid for the job. But it does not affect the figures and facts in my report,” he said.

READ ALSO:JUST IN: Supreme Court Affirms Lawan as Yobe  North APC Senatorial Candidate

Under cross-examination by petitioner’s counsel, Akin Olujinmi, SAN, Odutan, while being confronted with his witness statement and the BVAS report (Exhibit RBVR) on the accreditation figure in Ward 4, unit 7, said: “In my witness statement, page 7, serial number 138, the accreditation figure as extracted on the BVAS machine is 388, but on exhibit RBVR, it is 313.” But because it is difficult to cover up lies, even in the synchronised BVAS report presented before the Tribunal by INEC, the APC and Oyetola legal team were able to prove over-voting in over 100 polling units across the 10 local government areas, or LGAs, that they were challenging. What is more, INEC, the beneficiary (Adeleke), and the PDP, which sponsored Adeleke, could not even agree on the BVAS reports they presented before the Tribunal. This was what led Adeleke’s counsel to disown even the synchronized BVAS report INEC presented to the Tribunal.

Again, INEC’s witness, who testified before the Tribunal, did not disown the BVAS report given to Oyetola and APC, and she admitted under cross-examination that there was indeed overvoting in that election.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

FG, UNIDO partner to strengthen Nigeria’s industrial future

Published

on

FG, UNIDO partner to strengthen Nigeria’s industrial future

The Federal Government has signed a Programme for Country Partnership (PCP) agreement with the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO) to drive Nigeria’s industrial transformation.

At the signing ceremony in Abuja on Wednesday, the Minister of State for Industry, Sen. John Enoh, emphasised the significance of the agreement in repositioning the country’s industrial sector.

Enoh said that the partnership aligned with Nigeria’s commitment to rebuilding its industrial base to achieve structural economic transformation.

He said that the Industrial Revolution Work Group (IWG) had been inaugurated to coordinate the revitalisation of key industrial assets and value chains.

According to Enoh, the partnership comes at a time when Nigeria is moving with clarity and urgency to rebuild its industrial base.

He said that it would boost economic growth, and also ensure structural transformation that empowers the people and reduces dependency on primary exports.

Enoh said that the IWG, which he co-chaired with the President of the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN), Francis Meshioye, was a stakeholder platform designed to address systemic bottlenecks and fast-track industrial zone development.

The minister said that the PCP aligned with the objectives of the IWG, focusing on agro-industrial transformation, SME development, green and digital transition, and skills for industrial competitiveness.

He expressed optimism that UNIDO’s technical expertise and global perspective would enhance Nigeria’s industrialisation efforts through infrastructure development and catalytic interventions.

“We welcome your presence at the table and look forward to integrating your insights into the group’s core operations.

“Nigeria is laying the foundation for the next chapter in its industrial history by modernising institutions, reforming policies, and strengthening coordination across all levels of government,” he said.

Enoh reiterated the government’s commitment to fostering multilateral and bilateral cooperation, urging all stakeholders to transition from agreements to tangible execution.

“As we sign today, we do so with resolve not for the ceremony, but for community-medium impact.

“Let us move together from potential to productivity, from agreement to execution, and from policy to prosperity,” he said.

The Minister Budget and Economic Planning, Sen. Abubakar Bagudu, said that the PCP was expected to boost manufacturing, enhance access to renewable energy, and create opportunities for small and medium enterprises (SMEs).

Bagudu said that it would also strengthen Nigeria’s participation in the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA).

He reaffirmed the government’s commitment to ensuring the successful implementation of the programme, adding that Nigeria remained open to international investments and partnerships.

“Nigeria is determined to achieve its economic vision, and we will stay the course,” he said.

The UNIDO Director-General, Gerd Müller, described the PCP as a new phase in Nigeria’s longstanding partnership with the organisation, which dates back 40 years.

“This initiative focuses on six key areas, including industrial policy, innovation and technology, value chain development, and sustainable energy solutions.

“It will directly support Nigeria’s National Development Plan and the African Union’s Agenda 2063,” Müller said.

The UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator, Mohammed Fall, emphasised that the signing of the PCP marked the beginning of a long-term collaboration to drive Nigeria’s sustainable development.

Fall acknowledged the challenges facing the country but reaffirmed the UN’s commitment to working alongside Nigerian authorities and development partners to implement impactful initiatives.

He highlighted the role of UNICEF and other UN agencies in supporting Nigeria’s economic and humanitarian efforts.

He assured stakeholders that the UN remained dedicated to helping Nigeria transition toward a more resilient and self-sufficient economy.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the signing ceremony was attended by representatives of Government, the European Union, UNIDO, and other key stakeholders in Nigeria’s industrial sector.

Continue Reading

Environment

National Park advocates carbon reduction for climate action

Published

on

National Park advocates carbon reduction for climate action

The National Park Service (NPS) has assured Nigerians of its ongoing efforts to mitigate climate change through carbon reduction.

Dr Ibrahim Goni, the Conservator-General (C-G) of the NPS, made this commitment in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja on Wednesday.

The C-G stated that the approval for the establishment of 10 new national parks in the country would contribute to carbon reduction.

“The seven national parks provide a total area of vegetation of 20,000 square kilometres, and we are confident that it would sequestrate carbon by 4.8 million parts.

“This means that with the introduction of the new 10 national parks, carbon dioxide is going to be sequestrated”.

Goni further advised residents to engage in afforestation to reclaim lands that have been degraded due to erosion.

He commended the Federal Government for its efforts in carbon mediation and for planting 25 million trees to cushion the effects of climate change in the country.

Goni also expressed satisfaction with the federal government’s tree-planting efforts, describing it as a huge step towards conserving the country’s natural resources.

“In 2020, the federal government approved the establishment of 10 new national parks”.

NAN reports that the 10 new national parks are located in Alawa National Park in Niger, Apoi and Edumenun National Parks in Bayelsa, Galgore National Park in Kano state, and Hadejia Wetland National Park in Jigawa.

Others are Kampe National Park in Kwara, Kogo National Park in Katsina, Marhi National Park in Nasarawa state, Oba Hill National Park in Osun and Pandam National Park in Plateau.

Continue Reading

Headlines

NSE lauds Tinubu on appointment of seasoned professionals at NNPC Ltd

Published

on

NSE lauds Tinubu on appointment of seasoned professionals at NNPC Ltd

The Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) has commended President Bola Tinubu for appointing seasoned professionals to lead the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC).

NSE’s President, Margaret Oguntala, stated this in a statement on Wednesday, in Abuja, describing the move as “putting the right peg in the right hole.”

Oguntala praised Tinubu for ensuring that individuals with vast engineering, technical and leadership experience would manage affairs in the NNPC Ltd.

She emphasised that the new leadership would usher in a transformative era for NNPC Ltd, fostering efficiency, transparency, and innovation in the oil and gas sector.

“NSE extends heartfelt congratulations to President Tinubu, on the appointment of Bashir Bayo Ojulari, as the new Group Chief Executive Officer.

“Ahmadu Musa Kida, as Non-Executive Chairman of NNPC Ltd and other board members.

“This significant decision underscores the President’s unwavering commitment to revitalising NNPC Ltd and enhances the energy security of Nigeria through the oil and gas sector.

“I commend President Tinubu for ensuring that individuals with vast engineering, technical, and leadership experience are at the helm of NNPC Ltd,’’ she said.

She said that the move aligned with global best practices in energy governance.

Oguntala said that the strategic appointment was pivotal to achieving sustainable energy security, infrastructural growth, and economic development.

She further expressed optimism that the new leadership would usher in a transformative era for NNPC Ltd, fostering efficiency, transparency, and innovation in the oil and gas sector.

She said that NSE remained committed to supporting the administration’s drive toward national development and energy sustainability.

According to her, NSE looks forward to a fruitful collaboration with NNPC Ltd under its new leadership.

Continue Reading

You May Like

Copyright © 2024 Acces News Magazine All Right Reserved.

Verified by MonsterInsights